The working definition of poverty is "the extent to which an individual does without resources". The resources she discusses are listed below:
- Financial: Having the money to purchase goods and services.
- Emotional: Being able to choose and control emotional responses, particularly to negative situations, without engaging in self-destructive behavior. This is an internal resource and hows itself through stamina, perseverance, and choice. I think of family that I love here. I believe my mom was from a poverty stricken area, if not family in her younger years. If the sins of the father (and mother) are passed from generation to generations, then it makes sense that this theory - not being able to control emotional responses, would also be passed from generation to generation, unless there is a mentor somewhere along the line to change the patterns, or help teach new ones. I see where this affects people in my family, here. When things get hard - and they do for everyone, he engages in self-destructive behavior. (There was even a verse in Leviticus I think, that said we are to pray for the sins of our father - goes hand in hand with bondage breakers and Mr. Ramirez's conversation this week)
- Mental - Having the mental abilities and acquired skills (reading, writing, computing) to deal with daily life.
- Spiritual, Believing in diving purpose and guidance.
- Physical - Having physical health and mobility.
- Support systems: having friends, family , and back up resources available to access in times of need. These are external resources.
- Relationships/Role Models: Having frequent access to adults who are appropriate, who are nurturing to the child, and who do not engage in self-destructive behavior.
- Knowledge of Hidden Rules: Knowing the unspoken cues and habits of a group. (A hidden rule in poverty include the noise level being high (The TV is on and everyone talks at once)
That's really amazing - when I think of these things- my mom falls into many of them, which kept her in poverty.
Now - how to incorporate this to help our students....
No comments:
Post a Comment